Thursday, July 10, 2008

A much better start to the day

I took the bus today instead of the train. The bus drops me off at Pearse Street - the other end of where my train station is. It's a pretty long street. First of all, it's not raining (yay), but just in case I wore a pair of patent leather flats. I got them the other day on sale for 30 Euro and when I tried them on they were a little small. Last pair they had of course. I got them anyway and figured I'd suffer through since they were TOO CUTE! Here's a pic so you can judge for yourself:



The walk to work from the bus station starts at the end of Pearse Street and the first thing that I come to is Trinity College. I was walking around the perimeter of it and had to really take in the fact that I was casually walking past a serious amount of history. Trinity was founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I due to the fact that she didn't think the Irish (and relocated English) felt education was important - next to drinking and partying. She couldn't stand one of her countries being uneducated I suppose.

I imagine that I didn't recognize the history in my daily life in New Orleans either, but this city is OLD. And really beautiful. The second part of my walk is down Grafton and since it was so early, there was no one really on it. Usually it's so crowded that it takes expertise to successfully get through the street with relative pace. The rest of my walk was the same, but my ipod was playing some great stuff this morning so the walk flew by. One of the songs that came on was "If I Ever Leave This World Alive" by Flogging Molly. It's on one of my soundtracks, but it's full on Irish and I LOVE it! I couldn't stop smiling all of the way to Starbucks. In fact, when I got to work, I downloaded two of their albums ("Drunken Lullabies" and "Float"). I highly recommend a listen.

Now I'm at my desk and I suppose I should start working at some point. I hope your day starts out as good as mine!

Oh - and a side note - apparently the radar at the Dublin airport has gone kaput. They had to cancel all outgoing flights and also couldn't let any planes land past 1:45 pm yesterday. That's fantastic since I'm flying on Sunday. Let's hope they get the thing up and running by then!

No comments: