Happy Mardi Gras!!! And Happy Pancake Tuesday to all of my Irish friends. For Mardi Gras, I had a little neighborhood party, which means that I was absolutely required to make a king cake, as Mardi Gras just isn't the same without it. My wonderful mom sent along 2 boxes of mix (in case I completely screwed up the first one) and lots of decorations and beads.
In the case that you are ever living outside of the US and would like to make a king cake, here's how it goes:
1. Ask nicely for someone to send you something like this:
2. Combine cake mix and yeast (first error was me not knowing what yeast looks like and dropping the frosting powder in there - had to scoop out carefully):
3. Combine butter and knead til it disappears. Then add hot water and an egg and knead for 15 MINUTES! (Owwwwwwww)
4. After letting it rise til it doubles in size, roll it out:
5. Then mix the praline filling...mmmmmm:
7. Wrap up and let rise for 30 minutes in a warm oven:
8. Bake for 20 minutes:
9. Ice and sprinkle:
10. Add baby and serve! Important to have it surrounded by loads of alcohol (hurricanes included), pralines, jambalaya, and red beans 'n rice.
HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!